Monday, January 25, 2010

Retro '60s


Simplicity 3833 dress pattern


Simplicity 3559 dress pattern

I just bought 2 retro 60's sewing patterns. I was born in 1958 and I miss the fashions that were around when I was a teenager. In fact, one of the dresses I saw in the pattern book looked just like a dress I make in sewing class in Jr. High School in  1971. I thought my teacher was daft for making us sew a lined dress in S. California but I did learn a lot making it. It has princess seams and set in sleeves and a zipper sewn in by hand. I think my teacher's head was stuck in the 1950's. Sewing classes in high school were much more pleasant. We could make anything we wanted provided it was a skirt during the skirt lesson or a dress during the dress segment. In Jr. High the teacher would pick maybe five patterns, the class would vote, and you'd be stuck with whatever pattern won.

No comments: