Thursday, September 29, 2011

First Shirt is Done But...

I just sewed the last button on the last cuff of the shirt. It is done.  But, I just realized I made another error.  This must be the record number of mistakes I ever made on one sewing project.

This shirt has a front yoke and a back yoke.  On the front yoke because of the neck slot, you leave an ungathered section about 4" wide. But when I sewed the placket on I thought, "Wow, there sure are a lot of gathers here." Then just now when my boyfriend put the shirt on, I could see this flat 4" gap on the back. Jeebus, I put the front of the shirt in the back.  Holy cow. The shirt looks fine.  I think the only difference in the front and back yoke is that flat spot.  I guess I'll find out when I sew the second shirt in the next few days. I'm lucky this shirt is useable at all. I feel like such a dunce. But you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going to scroll on the wrong side of each piece tomorrow 'front yoke', 'front side', 'back yoke', 'back side', and so one.

Now you may ask yourself why I would admit in public that I make sewing mistakes.  I do it so all of you who sew can see that everyone makes mistakes, and you just have to be persistent and keep moving forward. It's not always fun, it's not always a leisurely stroll from beginning to end, but it gives you the freedom to make things you wouldn't otherwise get a chance to own.

No comments: